Veterans Disability Attorney in Slidell, Louisiana
Legal Advocate for Veterans in St. Tammany Parish
At McMillin Law, we are dedicated to helping veterans obtain the VA Benefits they need and deserve. The process can be complicated and frustrating, but we are here to help. We have a team of experienced lawyers who know the ins and outs of the VA benefits system and we will work tirelessly to make sure you get the benefits to which you are entitled.
Criteria for Winning a VA Disability Claim
Veterans may be eligible for disability compensation from the VA if they meet certain criteria.
- Firstly, they must have served during a period of war or hostilities and have been discharged under honorable conditions.
- Secondly, they must currently suffer from a disability that renders them unable to work.
- Lastly, this disability must be service-related, meaning that it was caused or aggravated by their time in service. If veterans can provide documentation supporting all claims, they may be eligible for monthly payments and other benefits from the VA.
Is VA Disability Compensation available to everyone?
We consider three basic criteria as we help disabled veterans explore their eligibility for these benefits:
- As a result of your service, you have sustained a disability. Whether you served on active duty, on active duty for training, or on inactive duty for training, you may suffer from a service-connected disability. An aggravated pre-existing condition may also qualify as a service-connected disability;
- The discharge you received was not dishonorable;
- The percentage of your disability rating (discussed next) is at least ten percent.
Unlike other types of disability programs, such as Social Security disability benefits, VA Disability Compensation does not require you to have income or be able to work to qualify.
During the claims process, what obstacles may I encounter?
There are a number of obstacles veterans face during this process, unfortunately. The VA making mistakes that stall or thwart your benefits can be one of the most stressful things that happens to disabled veterans. The VA may make the following errors on disability benefits and claims:
Evidence is not provided to claimants in a timely manner
Evidence is not thoroughly reviewed
Ratings for disabilities are incorrect
Medical advice that is inadequate
Denying claims incorrectly
A premature termination of benefits
Our Slidell VA disability attorneys accept cases throughout Southern Louisiana, including St. Tammany, Orleans, Jefferson, Terrebonne, Thibodaux, and Lafourche. Contact us for a free consultation: (985) 315-3988.
ACS Chemistry for Life
Louisiana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Louisiana Veteran Owned Business
Texas DWI Lawyers
Military Veterans Advocacy
National College for DUI Defense Member
Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
Wounded Warrior Project
DUI Defense Lawyers Association
Robert McMillan is a military veteran who has dedicated his career to helping other veterans get the benefits they deserve. He served in the Marine Corps for over six years and has received extensive training in law and administration. His training and experience have given him a unique insight into the Veterans Affairs system, and he has used it to successfully represent many VA disability cases. In addition to his knowledge of the law, Robert is also known for his friendly and reasonable demeanor. He is willing to take on even the most challenging cases, and he has a proven track record of success.
If you are looking for an experienced and knowledgeable attorney to help you with your VA disability claim in Slidell, look no further than McMillin Law. Call (985) 315-3988 today for your free consultation.